Who is a good candidate for PRK?
PRK stands for photorefractive keratectomy. It is a refractive laser surgical procedure for reshaping your cornea, altering how light passes through your eye. It focuses the light on the retina which is the light-sensitive tissue.
PRK helps to treat mild Hyperopia (farsightedness), mild to moderate Myopia (nearsightedness), and astigmatism. Optometrists recommend it as an alternative to corrective lenses. However, not everyone is a good candidate for PRK. Your eye surgeon or ophthalmologist in Tucson will use the following criteria to determine if you are a good candidate for PRK.
1. Your Corneal Thickness: You are a better candidate for PRK surgery if you have a thin cornea. Eye surgeons recommend a Laser-Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK surgery) for people with thick corneas.
2. Recent Eye Infections or Injuries: A good candidate for PRK surgery should be free from eye infections or injuries at least one year before the surgery.
3. Your Visual Prescription: PRK is more suitable for individuals who have myopia, also known as nearsightedness. Furthermore, your visual prescription for the year before the surgery must be stable.
4. Other Medical Conditions: A good candidate for PRK surgery is free of medical conditions like:
- Autoimmune diseases,
- Immunodeficiency, and
- Collagen vascular disease
5. Your Age: You must be over 18 years old to be eligible for a PRK surgery.
6. Are You Pregnant or Nursing? Pregnant and nursing mothers should avoid getting PRK surgery.
7. Your Hobbies: You should discuss your hobbies with your ophthalmologists at Fishkind Bakewell Maltzman & Hunter Eye Care and Surgery Center in Tucson. Your eyes are prone to trauma after a PRK surgery if you engage in high-intensity activities or high contact sports like martial arts.
Are You a Good Candidate for PRK Surgery?
Your ophthalmologist at Fishkind, Bakewell, Maltzman, & Hunter Eye Care and Surgery Center in Tucson will ultimately decide whether you are an ideal candidate for PRK surgery. They will use the above criteria and your individual needs to advise you appropriately. Call us today at (520)293-6740, option 4 or click here to discuss your qualification for PRK surgery and other eye care services.
Free Lasik Screening
Call 520-355-7501 or Enter Your Information Below!
Please do not submit any Protected Health Information (PHI).