Enter your email address to receive future updates!
Notice of Privacy Practices
Effective Date: September 1, 2013
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION
YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION
Whenever you visit Fishkind, Bakewell & Maltzman Eye Care & Surgery Center, a record of your visit is made. The record typically contains your symptoms, examination and test results, diagnoses, treatment, and a plan for future care. This notice describes the information we collect, and how and when we use or disclose that information. It also describes your rights as they relate to your protected health information.
This policy includes:
- Any health care professional authorized to enter information into your chart including but not limited to anesthesiologists, pain control physicians and locum tenens physicians.
- All areas of the Practice (front desk, Administration, surgery center, billing and collection, etc.)
- All employees, staff, and other personnel that work for or with our Practice.
- Our business associates, on-call physicians, etc.
We understand that your medical information is personal to you, and we are committed to protecting the information about you. Your health record is necessary to provide for your care and to comply with certain legal requirements. We are required by law to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information.
- Provide you with a Notice of our Privacy Practices and your legal rights with respect to protected health information about you.
- Follow the conditions of the Notice that is currently in effect,
- Notify you if we are unable to agree to a requested restriction.
- Accommodate reasonable requests you may have to communicate health information by alternative means or alternative locations.
We will not disclose your health information without your authorization, except as described in this notice. This Notice is provided to comply with the Privacy Regulations issued by the Department of Health & Human services in accordance with the HIPAA & HITECH Acts.
Your health information rights
Although your health record is the physical property of Fishkind, Bakewell, and Maltzman Eye Care & Surgery Center, the information belongs to you. You have the right to:
- Obtain a paper copy of this notice of information practices upon request.
- Inspect and copy your health record as provided for in 45 CFR 164.524. Upon proof of an appropriate legal relationship, records of others related to you or under your care may also be disclosed. Requests should be made in writing. We may charge a fee for the costs of copying, mailing or other supplies associate with your request.
- Request an electronic copy of your health record for any records that are maintained in an electronic format. The Practice reserves the right to determine how the electronic format is provided to the patient.
- Amend your health record as provided in 45 CFR 164.528. If you feel that the medical information we have about you in your record is incorrect or incomplete, then you may ask to amend the information. We may deny your request for an amendment if it is not in writing or does not include a reason to support the request, or if it was not created by us or the person or entity that created the information is no longer available to make the amendment.
- Obtain an accounting of disclosures of your health information as provided in 45 CFR 164.528. You may request in writing, a time period not longer than 6 years back and not before April 14, 2003.